Real Simple: Easy, Delicious Home Cooking
from Real Simple Magazine
The new book from Real Simple magazine full of easy but sophisticated dishes. Everything is represented, from soup to pasta, meat and vegetarian dishes, side dishes and desserts. Recipes include baked cod and chorizo, lamb chops with smashed peas, and croissant bread and butter pudding. Softcover 368 pp. $27.95.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan(s)
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for the pan(s)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup whole milk
1. Heat oven to 350 F. Butter the pan or pans, line the bottom(s) with parchment, butter again, and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium-high until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla, then beat the eggs in one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Reduce mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions and the milk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Mix just until combined (do not overmix).
5. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan(s) and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake(s) in the pan(s) for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack(s) to cool completely.
Back to top